By Linda Joffe
Here’s a question to the many alumni, community friends, staff and faculty who give so generously to the New College Fund, supporting scholarships, research and other vital needs:
Are you ready for a challenge?
On May 1-2, donors have an amazing opportunity to double gifts to the New College Fund through the Giving Challenge, a 24-hour, online campaign presented by the Community Foundation of Sarasota County.
Every unique individual gift between $25 and $100 will be matched by The Patterson Foundation. Although not matched, gifts over $100 do count toward meeting the College’s year-end fundraising goal — fast approaching with the end of the fiscal year on June 30.
The last Giving Challenge, in 2016, set a new standard for generosity, when more than $134 million was raised to benefit more than 559 nonprofits. For New College, it was an enormous success. The College raised just under $63,000, and with the match, netted over $120,000. With help from its supporters, New College hopes to surpass that amount this year.
“I want to especially reach out to alums who have not yet given,” said MaryAnne Young, executive director of the New College Foundation. “Not only is the Giving Challenge an opportunity to double your impact; it will also raise the alumni participation rate — the percentage of alums who make a gift of any amount — which is critically important to the state of Florida, and to the other organizations who fund us and rate us.”
Here are the details:
- The Challenge runs from noon, May 1, to noon, May 2.
- It is an online campaign only accessible at www.givingpartnerchallenge.org. Beginning at noon on May 1, you will be able to select “New College Foundation” as your designated organization and complete the online form. Only major credit and debit cards are accepted.
- The minimum gift is $25. There is no maximum.
- Gifts between $25 and $100 will be matched by The Patterson Foundation.
- Each gift is 100 percent tax-deductible.
- Advance pledges: As a service to our supporters, New College Foundation staff are able to take pledge information in advance and enter it on your behalf during the 24-hour campaign. (Call the Foundation at 941-487-4800 for details.) All advance information will be held in a secure location until the Challenge begins.
“We know that there will be many nonprofits deserving of your support during the Giving Challenge,” adds Young. “Choose one of the top public liberal arts colleges in the country. Choose to invest in the leaders of tomorrow. Choose excellence. Choose New College!”